Wrecked By Reality

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How Many Fingers Are We Holding Up?


Fantasy hockey has finally come to an end, and after spending time in fourth place for most of the season, I ended up getting to the finals again, only this time I am the first loser. Not bad for my first two fantasy hockey seasons.


And now, for and explanation of the title of this post:

Week 2 of softball was last night, and I ended up playing third base due to the absence of our normal third basemen. During game 2, around the third inning, the batter hit a line drive shot that glanced off the left side of my head, and put me on the ground. Up until that time, I had been playing 3B pretty poorly, including a few bad throws to first and one horrible throw to second base. Note to self: warm up next time!

I was around 65-70' from home plate at the time of the line drive. The ball had to have been travelling somewhere between 60 and 80 mph because it was on me instantly. According to the field umpire, I had actually leaned my head back before the ball hit me, so it ended up not being a straight on shot. As I fell, everything went black and came back in just a second or two, and I heard the conclusion of the play. That's when a multitude of heavenly hosts (hey- it's a church softball league) surrounded me. After being helped up, I moved our left fielder in to play third, our right-centerfielder to left, and I went to right center. But, I am tellin' ya, the world was moving more than it should have been.

Fortunately, we got the third out, and one of the other fielders walked me in, and guess who was up to bat first in the inning? Yep. I ended up lining my next two hits and getting on base before relenting to a pinch runner. And we won the game to boot.

The side of my head is skinned up some, but no headaches or nauesea, which is good. And the floating, light headed feeling is pretty much gone now.

Hmmm...I think I've earned a week off...

5 Comments:

Blogger WJ said...

Tu blog me resulta muy interesante... Continua asi..

8:47 PM, April 15, 2008  
Blogger Bryan said...

WHOA! I've gone international! Somebody get me a translator, STAT!

9:56 PM, April 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to sacrifice your body for the team. hmmm . . . that's pretty Christ-like of you! Way to go!

Any laying on of hands to make the swelling go down? ;-)

7:05 AM, April 16, 2008  
Blogger Melanie Davis said...

Hey Adam and I changed our blog site. If you want an invite just shoot us an e-mail.

Melanie

4:40 PM, April 23, 2008  
Blogger OddManRush said...

As manager, I know I should have been there, but if I was I would've done the thing from Star Trek 3. Bones was out-of-sorts and Kirk walks in with his fingers split in that Vulcan "live long and prosper" greeting position and said, "How many fingers am I holding up?"

But beebee gun (Nashville Predators playoff) loyalty knows no boundaries...

You've looked in good shape since then. Can hardly even see the scar.

9:28 AM, May 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home