Wrecked By Reality

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The God Debate

While I was killing some time at work yesterday, I popped over to Newsweek looking for something in particular, and another article caught my eye, and I knew I had to link to it for today. A debate between atheist Sam Harris vs Christian pastor Rick Warren to hash out life's biggest question — Is God real?

On some levels, I find intellectual vs faith battles are usually played on a non-level battlefield. People who aren't born again believers in Jesus Christ only have the intellectual avenues to pursue, while Christians rely on faith. I thought that the moderator, John Meacham, did a great job asking questions to both men and letting them answer without too much bias for either man's views, which is refreshing. I also thought that Rick really stood up for the born again Christian way of life and challenged Sam on some things that Sam couldn't refute. Please check the article out. While it is frustrating to read Sam's words, it is fantastic to hear Rick speak of the hope of Jesus Christ.

Work was an early day today. Last night, I couldn't set up for today because banquets were going on. After getting there at 6:30, I finally sat down at 8:45.
WHEEEE!!!

On the fantasy hockey front, I am now up 7-5, just ahead in goals, assists and penalty minutes. On the real hockey front, the Preds lost in OT last night. They will have a chance to clinch the conference title if they win the last two and Detroit loses their last two. Stay tuned...

Last night, I cracked open a couple of the old MJCA videotapes and gave them a look. Both were sports related. One was a team vs faculty and staff of the church and school at Immanuel Baptist Church in Lebanon that I didn't play in. I was sick that day, but I could have gone to school if I hadn't whined about it so much. The other tape was girls and boys basketball games at Webb School in Bell Buckle. The funny thing is that we played that game in a closed gym. No fans or cheerleaders were allowed. Just the teams, coaches, managers, scorekeepers, etc. Oh, and refs. The reason the gym was closed was because of some antics by some of the Webb students from the first time we were there, like throwing rocks at the bus (classy), and some kid/student following the bus with a blue light flashing on top of his car. To this day, I am amazed that we actually went back for another game. I miss the 80's. The girls lost by one point, we got smoked, and the younger guys were getting garbage time minutes for the whole 4th quarter (I was sitting on the bench in sweats during the 4th).

Notable birthdays for April 4 are Muddy Waters, Clive Davis, Craig T. Nelson, David E. Kelley, Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Perkins, Nancy McKeon, David Blaine, Dave Mirra, Heath Ledger, and Hugo Weaving.

Agent Smith: It seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.

V: Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home